What is Social Media Strategy and Why do I need one?
2018 has already started and if you haven’t been able to think about what is your social media strategy for this year, now it’s a good time to finally think about your business and create one. But what is social media strategy and why do you need one?
Let’s start with the second part of the question: Why do you need a social media strategy?
The internet has already become an integral part of everyday life for most of the world’s population.
More than half the world now uses a smartphone, most of the world’s web traffic now comes from mobile phones, more than one in five of world’s population shopped online in the past 30 days.
You can read more about this stats at the digital report from WeAreSocial.com
When you notice that there is an increase by 21% of active social media users, you’ll hopefully think about how to attract the attention of some of those users towards your business or your products and services. If you are one of the business owners that want that, read on:
What is Social Media Strategy?
Social Media Strategy is like a business plan for all your social media activities. If you are just posting on your Facebook once every few weeks whatever that comes to mind, or you are just scheduling a few promotional posts that redirect people to your website, you need to stop and reflect of how can do this better. It’s not enough to “be active” on social media when you spend hours and hours scrolling away and “liking” random things from what friends or businesses posts that appear in your news feed.
Instead of just posting, linking and retweeting you need to have all your activities planned out and drive towards achieving your main objectives. It doesn’t need to be a very detailed document that you never review. Do whatever you feel is the most beneficial to you and your business.
What should a social media strategy include?
- Objectives: Decide what are your goals and objectives. Use your overall marketing strategy so your social media efforts will help to achieve your boarder marketing goals.
- Social media audit: Review how many followers you have, what content do you currently share, or how often do you post. Look at your competition to see what are they doing and think how can you do better.
- Choose the right social media platform: think what the best platform is in your case so you can use it to engage with your clients and followers. Be clear who your target audience is and research the key demographics of various social media platforms.
- Start with one platform: Focus on quality, not quantity. It’s more important to post regularly than to have 4,5 channels that you don’t monitor. But set up an account on each platform, so your name is reserved (if you decide to use that platform later). Try to have the same name on all the various platforms so it will be easier for your followers to find you.
- How often to post: Consider how often you want to post on each platform and what that content should be. Also, consider any hashtags that you want to use.
- Monitor: think about how you will measure your success. First focus on brand awareness, how you can get followers and have a voice, then focus on how you promote your services or products.
When should I start planning my social media strategy?
They say that the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago, but the second best time is NOW. Start the year with a fresh, clean plan of action.
Have you been putting off creating a social media strategy for your business? It really doesn’t have to be daunting and we can help you to focus on your future social media activities. Drop us an email or contact us.